Stir Fry Pepper Steak
Stir Fry Pepper Steak is the latest addition to my collection of Meal Planning recipes. I’d been cooking a lot of chicken, and using a lot of Tex Mex flavors and I needed a change. Even my grocery shopping lists had gotten boring and nothing will derail your Meal Planning Goals like BOREDOM!! Trust me, I’ve been there.
Plus this is a Keto friendly recipe, and though I’m not following KETO, reducing carbs to be ensure a healthy balanced diet is never a bad thing. When the resulting recipe is delicious, and gets a thumbs up from at least 3/4 of the people at the table it’s a keeper and get’s added to the Meal Planning Collection! Don’t forget to PIN it now!
Can you make Stir Fry Pepper Steak ahead?
Yes and No. I highly recommend prepping all the vegetables, including grating some cauliflower for Cauliflower Rice ahead of time. If you do a Meal Prep day, this is a great Meal Prep recipe. On cooking day all you will need to do is the actual stir frying of both the Stir Fry Pepper Steak and the Stir Fried Cauliflower Rice and dinner will be on the table in 15 minutes. Not only is this recipe full of flavor, Low Carb, Keto friendly, it’s also made in one skillet, so clean up is a breeze.
Can I substitute the peppers for another vegetable?
Since this stir fry requires a quick cooking time to avoid the steak getting tough, you want to choose vegetables that will cook quickly.
- Green Beans
- Broccoli florets
- Baby Bok Choy
What kind of steak is good for Stir Frying?
We are cooking this meal over high heat so it cooks quickly. You’ll want to choose a cut of beef that is tender to start with, and then make sure not to over cook it. Something with a little more marbling (fat), thinly sliced against the grain is going to be your best bet. Although often these cuts are more expensive, the meat to vegetable ratio is well balanced, and the steak will go quite far.
I recommend using any of the following cuts of beef:
- Top Sirloin Steak
- Sirloin Tip Steak
- Flat Iron
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
- 1 cup of bell peppers, yellow, red, green, diced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 Tbl of red onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 c beef broth
- 2 Tbs Soy Sauce
- 2 Tbs Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 tsp seasame oil
- 1/4 tsp arbol chili pepper, or some milder chili
- 2 tsp corn starch
- 1/4 cup of water
- 1 1/2 pounds of thin sliced sirloin steak
- Heat 2 Tbsp of vegetable oil in a 10 inch skillet over medium heat until avery hot, it should shimmer.
- Add the diced peppers, onions and garlic to the pan and saute for about 3 minutes while stirring constantly. Remove these and set aside on a plate. Pour off excess oil and discard.
- Heat 2 Tbsp of fresh vegetable oil in the 10 inch skillet as above, and add the meat. Saute while stirring for 2-3 minutes until all the red color of the meat is gone.
- Return the peppers, onions, and garlic to the skillet and mix with the steak, add the beef broth, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, sesame oil, and the chili powder. Cook this mixture while stirring for 5 more minutes.
- Measure 1/4 cup of water and stir in 2 tsp of corn starch until smooth and add this to the skillet containing the peppers and steak. Cook this mixture while stirring until the sauce thickens. Reduce the heat to very low and you can begin preparation of the Cauliflower Fried Rice
To make this a strictly Keto recipe, use Coconut Amino's instead of the Soy Sauce. You can either omit the Cornstarch completely, or thicken with xanthan gum or almond flour.
This dish comes together quickly once you start cooking. Ensuring that all your vegetables and ingredients are prepped and ready to use it key. This recipe lends itself to Meal Prepping.