White Chicken Chili; made in the Instant pot, with a twist
I’m not going to lie, I’m a little bit in love with my Instant Pot, and soups like this White Chicken Chili are one of the reasons why. A good soup can often take hours of simmering, and pot watching but the Instant Pot makes the best soup, in about half the time. LOVE IT!
White Chicken Chili or White Chicken Chili Soup? It took me a while to decide if this was a soup or a chili. You can call it either, but I decided on White Chicken Chili because it’s hearty enough to me a full meal. Not that soup isn’t often a full meal, it is, but the Tex Mex Flavours in this recipe made me lean towards chili. Yup, Instant Pot White Chicken Chili it is!
Is White Chicken Chili Prepaheadable?
YES! It’s another reason I love this recipe so much. You have a lot of options to make this meal ahead of time, depending on what kind of Meal Planning you are doing.
- Fill Your Freezer; assemble ingredients raw, bag and freeze
- Cook the soup; let cool and freezer in freezer safe containers
- Meal Prep the ingredients and store in the fridge for up to 4 days
- Cook the whole recipe on Meal Prep day and store in the fridge until needed
Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 whole onion diced
- 3 skinless boneless chicken breasts
- 1 can chopped green chiles
- 1 whole jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 4 cups white navy beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp cumin
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano or regular
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- 1 cup cream half and half or heavy
- 1/4 cup fine ground cornmeal
- 2 cups Monteray jack cheese shredded
Optional Toppings: Red Onions, Cilantro, Shredded Cheese, Jalapeno Slices;
- Turn Instant Pot on to Saute on High.
- Add olive oil and onions, saute 1-2 minutes
- Add chicken breasts, chiles, jalapeno, navy beans, corn, bay leaves, cumin, oregano, cayenne, salt & pepper. Stir to coat all sides of the chicken.
- Pour in chicken broth and scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pot. Deglazing the pot it CRITICAL to avoiding the dreaded Burn Warning.
- Place lid on the Insant Pot turn the valve to seal. Hit Cancel to turn off the Saute function. Set the Instant pot to cook on High Pressure (Manual button on some models), for 8 minutes.
- Once the time is up, let the pot do a natural release for 8 minutes. Release the remaining pressure and carefully open the lid. Watch the steam, it's hot!
- Open the lid, remove the chicken and shred. Return shredded chicken to the pot.
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute, stir in the cream. Now add the cornmeal, stir well. Let soup come up to a gentle boil to allow it to thicken to desired consistency. Turn the pot off and set to warm.
- Stir in shredded cheese, stirring until melted and smooth. Taste for seasoning. Adjust adding salt and pepper as needed.