Chopped Italian Salad
I cannot say enough good things about this Chopped Italian Salad. I just LOVE it! Often when we talk about Salads they are pretty basic and not really the star of the meal. For me, especially in the summer and easy meal prep lunches I like to make a salad that’s the Main Course. Add some delicious bread and that’s all you need.
Italian Chopped Salad
- 1 cup ditalini pasta uncooked
- 3 cups Romaine lettuce cut into bite size pieces
- 1 1/2 cups chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups summer sausage salami or mortadella, cubed
- 1 cup cubed Mozarella
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup artichoke hearts drained and halved
- 1/4 cup pimento stuffed olives sliced
- 1/2 cup green onions chopped
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large pot of salted water cook pasta until al dente according to package directions. For Ditalini I do about 8-9 minutes. Drain, rinse immediately under cold water and then drain again. Drizzle with a little olive oil and toss to prevent sticking.
- In a medium bowl, add all ingredients except the olive oil and whisk to combine. Continue whisking and slowly drizzle in the Olive Oil. Whisk until the dressing is creamy.
- In a large serving bowl, add the chopped Romaine, cooked ditalini, chickpeas, sausage, cheese, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, and green onions. Drizzle on the dressing and toss well to combine.
- Serve immediately or keep the lettuce separate and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Meal Prep Instructions
- To make this ahead, you simply prepare the salad insgredients as listed above, but omit the chopped Romaine lettuce and store until serving day. Chop the Romaine and keep it in a separate bag until you want to serve the salad. Store the dressing in a small mason jar in the fridge. Remove to let come to temperature on serving day and shake well before pouring on the salad.
4 thoughts on “Chopped Italian Salad”
Oh wow. This salad looks delicious. I love having salad as a main dish, especially on these warm late summer days! I can’t wait to try this one.
I am a huge fan of salads! The addition of pasta in this salad makes it THAT much better! Delicious.
This salad contains some of my favorite things! I love anything with artichokes, chickpeas or mozzarella. Yum!
What a brilliant recipe that has all ingredients to make a healthy meal.