Chopped Italian Salad
I cannot say enough good things about this Chopped Italian Salad. I just LOVE it! Often when we talk about Salads they are pretty basic and not really the star of the meal. For me, especially in the summer and easy meal prep lunches I like to make a salad that’s the Main Course. Add some delicious bread and that’s all you need.
- 1 cup ditalini pasta
- 3 cups chopped Romaine lettuce
- 15 oz chickpeas drained
- 1 cup cubed summer sausage
- 1 cup cubed Provolone or Mozzarella
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 cup marinated artichoke hearts drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup pimento stuffed olives halved
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- For The Dressing
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil; cook pasta until al dente according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Drizzle with a little olive oil and toss to prevent sticking.
- In a large bowl, add the cooked ditalini, chickpeas, sausage, cheese, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, olives, and green onions. Chop Romaine and keep in a separate bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all the the ingredients for the dressing, except the olive oil. Then slowly stream in the olive oil to emulsify. (Alternatively, you can place all the ingredients in a jar with a lid and shake until completely combined and thickened.) Drizzle over all the salad ingredients and gently toss to coat.
- Serve immediately or keep the lettuce separate and store in the fridge until ready to serve.
Meal Prep Instructions
- To make this ahead, you simply prepare the salad as listed above, but omit the chopped Romaine lettuce. Chop the Romaine and keep it in a separate bag until you want to serve the salad. Once the dressing is added to the lettuce it gets soggy so it's not a good idea to make it ahead.
WANT MORE GREAT RECIPES?
For more great recipes, meal plans, LIVE streamed Quick Cook and Meal Prep Video’s plus so much more, join the Love on a Plate community now. We also have a YouTube channel, that’s new but growing, I’d love it if you would subscribe!
We’d love to know what you think of these recipes if you try them! Share a picture on IG using #loveonaplate, Post your picture on the Love on A Plate group, leave a Comment or Rating below. I think you get the picture! We want to hear from you. @loveonaplate.ca