Cabbage Kielbasa Soup is the latest addition to the Sunday Soup series, we have a serious love of soup at our house, and although I have many favourites, I’m always creating new ones. Yes, I am one of those people who likes variety, and no I won’t eat the same protein two days in a row either… I know, I know, it’s odd.
Back when I was a young girl, and my mother wasn’t the greatest of cooks yet, Cabbage Soup, or Borscht was one of the big simmering pots on the stove that I knew would be delicious. Her grandmother, my Baba, was of Russian, so I guess it came naturally to her. She made both the Red Beet Borscht and the Green Cabbage Borscht, I love both.
This isn’t authentic borscht, but it does have many of the same flavours, and it’s hearty, and warm, and filling, and actually delicious all at the same time. Oh, and super budget friendly and easy to make.
The directions here are for the stove top, though you could easily prepare it in the Instant Pot, without having to make any ingredient adjustments. I simply cook it on the soup setting and you’re good to go!
Watch my Quick Cook Video below to see how truly easy it is!
If you are looking for other great Instant Pot soups, I’ve got quite a few that I recommend, you try! Instant Pot Lasagna Soup is one of the family favourites, and is in the rotation quite often. I also make a mean Instant Pot Taco Soup, served with nacho chips for a quick, kid friendly meal.
You can also browse through the Soup Category here…. I’ve got quite a few to choose from
If you want more great recipes and meal prep videos join our Facebook Group; Love on a Plate. We are LIVE at least once a week sharing Quick Cook Video’s, Meal Prepping ideas, and soon, Holiday baking treats! We’d love to have you join us.
- 8 ounces kielbasa, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and cut in half moons
- 3 large cloves garlic pressed
- 4 cups green cabbage cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 can 15 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 cups unpeeled baby red potatoes diced
- 8 cups Chicken stock
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons dried dill or 1/4 cup fresh
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, heat olive oil over medium heat, add Kielbasa and cook about for about five 3-4 minutes until Kielbasa is lightly browned.
- Into the same Dutch oven, add the onion, carrots and cabbage and saute over medium heat for about 4-5 minutes until onion is translucent, and cabbage has started to wilt. Lower heat and stir in garlic. potatoes, fire-roasted tomatoes including juice, stock, celery seed, paprika, dill, bay leaf, salt & pepper and cooked sausage. Stir to combine. Cook until the soup reaches a simmer, cover, reduce heat and simmer on low about 1 hour until potatoes are tender. Check for seasoning. If you prefer a slightly thicker soup simmer with the lid off until reduced and desired consistency is reached.
Instant Pot Instructions:
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute on medium. Add olive oil, and saute the kielbasa until it starts to brown. Add in carrots, potatoes, cabbage and all seasonings. Stir.
- Pour in broth and stir. Pour in tomatoes and juice, DO NOT STIR.
- Cancel the saute setting, place lid on and close the steam valve. Set to HIGH pressure for 8 minutes. When done do a quick pressure release. Careful of the steam!
- Open lid, stir well and check for seasoning. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and additional dill if desired.