Turn leftover mashed potatoes into something spectacular!
I am so excited to share this recipe for these Easy Cheesy Mashed Potato Patties. Crispy on the outside, soft and cheesy on the inside! Delicious, picky eater approved, and prepaheadble, they are also the perfect way to use up leftover mashed potatoes.
Now, if your family is like mine, leftover mashed potatoes are often NOT a thing, but these are worth making Intentional Leftovers for. When I’m meal planning I schedule in a meal with regular mashed potatoes for one night, and then makes these oh so good Mashed Potato Patties for another meal.
If you don’t have a great mashed potato recipe, this is how I make mine, using my Instant Pot. Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are the BEST! The pressure cooking allows for a smooth, not watery, full flavored mashed potato, and FAST!
Mashed Potato Pancakes
- 1/2 cup Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 1/2 cups leftover mashed potatoes at room temp
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- All-purpose flour optional
- Sour cream optional
- Chives optional
- In a bowl, mix together the mashed potatoes, beaten egg, cheese, and salt. If your mashed potatoes are a too thin add flour 1 TBSP a time until they are able to hold their shape when cooking.
- Over medium heat, add enough oil (1/4-1/2 cup) to a large skillet. You need the oil to be deep enough to cover at least half of the Potato Patty.
- With an Ice cream scoop, take a large scoop of the potato mixture, then flatten into a patty. You should get about 12 patties from 2 1/2 cups of potatoes.
- Place formed patties in the heat oil in the skillet. Cook on one side until golden brown about 2 minutes. Flip the patty to cook the other side, about another 2 minutes until golden brown and heated through.
- Remove cooked patties from the skillet with a spatula and place on a paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with salt immediately.
- Serve with sour cream and chopped chives, a splash of hot sauce or salsa. Delicious served on their own too!
What to serve with Mashed Potato Patties?
I’ll be honest, to me, these could be THE meal. I’m a Carb girl, I’ll admit it! However, if you’re looking for a more balanced meal, I’ve got a few main course dishes that I think go especially well with these potato patties.
Here’s a few main dish options we like to serve these patties with:
Pineapple Pulled Pork (serve this over the patties! Oh, MY!)