Corn, I love it…. Fresh Corn on the Cob is the BOMB and my favourite way to eat it, picked fresh from locals farmers fields. Of course, that’s only in August, and well, I want to eat it year round, my kids however are all over the place when it comes to corn, one doesn’t like it at all (unless it’s cornbread), one will eat fresh or frozen, one “prefers” canned… it can be a dilemma.
My solution? LOTS and LOTS of great recipes that I cook year round… Grilled Corn Salad in the Summer, Herb Butters for shmeeering on fresh roasted corn, Corn Chowder, Corn Soup, Corn Casserole, Corn Pudding, well, you get the idea.
This recipe for Mexican Street Corn is done in the Instant Pot, my new favourite cooking “gadget”. We eat a lot of tex-mex around here and I’m always looking for sides to go with Enchilada’s, Quesadilla’s, Taco’s, Burrito’s which we eat year round. That’s where this recipe comes in, you can make it with fresh corn, or frozen, but I don’t recommend canned which is too soft for this kind of dish.
Instant Pot Mexican Corn
- 4 cups corn about 4-5 ears, cut from the cob or frozen
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1/2 small red onion diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro chopped
- 6 green onions diced
- 2 jalapeño pepper diced
- 2 limes juiced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 2 splashes of Hot Sauce
- 1/2 cup cotija cheese crumbled*
- To Cook Corn on the Cob:
- Pour 1 cup of cold water in the Instant Pot.
- Place a trivet in the Instant Pot, then place 4-5 ears of corn on the cob on the trivet.
- Close the lid and cook on manual for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and Quick Release.
- Open the lid carefully.
- Cut the corn off the cob.
- Add the olive oil in the Instant Pot and turn it to saute, add the red peppers, jalapeños, and onion.
- Stir until the onions turn lightly translucent. Add the corn and stir to combine. Add the lime juice and stir to combine. Turn off the Instant Pot.
- Pour your corn mix into a large bowl, add the remaining ingredients, stir everything together until well combined. Garnish with additional cheese, salsa, and cilantro.
2 thoughts on “Instant Pot Mexican Street Corn”
Simple and delicious. Love the lime crema.
I could have eaten the WHOLE bowl!! I am one of those weird people that cilantro taste like dish soap, so I left that out, and I just doubled up on the red pepper flakes! AMAZING!!