These Sugar Plum Sparkle Cookies are the perfect way to celebrate the release of Disney’s Nutcracker and the Four Realms which is coming out this weekend. I’m not always a fan of animated movies, however I’ve seen 100’s with my kids, but the preview for this one looks good.
My kids are teenagers now however I still look for ways that we can have some fun quality family time, and often that involves family movie night and some treats.
These simple to make but tasty Sugar Plum Sparkle Cookies are what I call half homemade, they start with a cake mix, making them easy enough for the kids to get in on the baking fun. With pops of Pink and Purple and White shimmery sanding sugar they are an excellent treat option to make for this movie night.
So let’s get decorating:
Easily adapted to any colour theme, you will find yourself pulling out this recipe again and again throughout the year.
For Halloween; Black and Orange, Christmas; Green and Red, Blue & Gold for Hanukkah; the combinations are unlimited, and all it takes is a little added food colouring gel and some sanding sugar.
To really make these pop, I use coloured sanding sugar, they give such a nice sparkle to the cookies and the thicker grains prevent them from melting while being baked. This is exactly what we are looking for therefore I recommend using a good quality sanding sugar; like Wilton.
I have included links to both the sanding sugars and a great deal on Wilton Gel Icing Colours. They are much more intense and true to colour and don’t add any liquid which would change the consistency of the dough or the icing depending on what you are making.
This site does use affiliate links, we earn a small commission which supports our coffee habit if you choose to purchase something through Love on a Plate.
It’s super easy to get the marbled effect in the dough and detailed instructions are included in the recipe, however I thought a step by step with photos would also help. I know for myself a picture is always appreciated when making something for the first time.
Cookie dough ready to roll
If you want more great recipes join our Facebook Group; Love on a Plate. You will find recipe tips and tricks as well as bi-weekly LIVE stream quick cook videos, meal prep videos and much more. It’s a lot of fun and we would love to have you join us.
Disney Nutcracker; Sugar Plum Sparkle Cookies
- 1 box of White cake mix
- 1/3 C vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- Pink and purple gel food coloring
- 1 container of white sanding sugar
- Preheat oven at 350º F.
- Using a standing mixer, combine cake mix, vegetable oil, and 2 eggs until combined.
- Divide the batter into three separate bowls.
- Mix Purple food coloring into one bowl.
- Mix Pink food coloring into the second bowl.
- Leave the third bowl free of color
- Take about 1 TSP of each color of dough and form into tablespoon sized balls.
- Pour the sanding sugar into a bowl
- Roll cookie dough into the sanding sugar
- Place cookie dough balls about 2 inches apart on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Lightly push each cookie dough ball down so that it becomes a thick but flat disk.
- Bake for 7 to 8 minutes.
- Allow cookies to completely cool before Enjoying!