Tex Mex Burrito Bowls
I love my Instant Pot, and these Tex Mex Burrito Bowls are a perfect recipe to make as part of your meal prepping plan.
Of course if you haven’t had time to Meal Plan and prep, you can still have this fabulous dinner on the table in 30 minutes. Admit it, we all need these kinds of recipes! I sure do.
While you don’t need to meal prep for making the actual Tex Mex Burrito Bowls themselves, what you can do is prep some great lunches or freezer meals from the leftovers. I specifically make Intentional Leftovers so that I can do this.
Can I freeze Tex Mex Burrito Bowls?
Honestly, not really. I find that rice prepared in the Instant Pot is already quite soft, and then if you freeze it and re-heat it, the texture is too soft. The good news is that you will definitely be able to have it for dinner one day, have leftovers for lunches and then make a second dinner for later in the week. I usually make burrito’s, and serve with a nice fresh salad, or my Grilled Corn Salad with Cilantro Lime Dressing.
What to do with leftover Tex Mex Burrito Bowls
- With Nacho Chips and assorted toppings
- As a Burrito or Tacquito filling
- As a Burrito Bowl or Salad
- On top of Nacho’s or Tostada Shells
New to the Instant Pot? Watch this Quick Cook Video to see this recipe prepared step by step.
Tex Mex Burrito Bowls
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp Chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin powder
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cubed
- 15 oz canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 2 cups salsa
- 1 1/2 cupa long grain white rice
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
Optional Toppings: Sour Cream, Chopped tomatoes, cilantro, onions, guacamole, black olives, jalapeno peppers
- Set Instant Pot to Saute function, on normal. Pour in the olive oil, let heat 1 minute. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 4 minutes. Stir in the chicken,diced peppers, chili powder and cumin and cook until chicken is lightly seared.
- Next add in the beans, corn, diced peppers and stir well.
- Now layer, in the following order without stirring; chicken broth, salsa, rice. Spread rice out so that it is all just covered with liquid. DO NOT STIR.
- Close and lock the lid. Cancel the Saute setting and set to High Pressure Cook for 4 minutes. Do a NPR for 6 minutes. Slowly open the vent to release the remaining steam.
- Gently stir everything together, fluffing rice as you go. Divide between bowls and top with optional toppings of your choice.
WANT MORE GREAT RECIPES?
For more great recipes, meal plans, LIVE streamed Quick Cook and Meal Prep Video’s plus so much more, join the Love on a Plate
Community now. We also have a YouTube channel, that’s new but growing, I’d love it if you would subscribe!
We’d love to know what you think of these recipes if you try them! Share a picture on IG using #loveonaplate, Post your picture on the Love on A Plate group, leave a Comment or Rating below. I think you get the picture! We want to hear from you. @loveonaplate.ca