This delicious Poblano Sausage Spinach soup doesn’t need to simmer for hours to develop great flavor. Thanks to a satisfying combination of spicy Poblano pepper, classic herbs, and a unique blend of spices, this soup delivers lots of fantastic flavor in just over half an hour.
For those following a low carb or Keto diet, this recipe will fit into your meal planning routines. With only 3.9 carbs and 1.3 fibre, this Keto friendly recipe comes in at 2.6 net carbs.
Easy to prepare, warm and satisfying, Keto friendly, you can see why I like this recipe so much.
This soup is great as a hearty appetizer or as a satisfying light meal when paired with a green salad. As an added bonus, it tastes even better as leftovers for lunch the next day!
Sausage Soup with Peppers and Spinach
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. pork sausage
- 1 medium red pepper diced
- 1/2 medium Poblano pepper diced
- 3 stalks celery diced
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup Cheddar Jack cheese shredded
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is no longer pink inside, approximately 5 minutes. As the sausage cooks, break it into small pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add the red and Poblano pepper, celery, basil, oregano, rosemary, chili powder, cumin, and cinnamon to the pot. Generously season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and stir to combine. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the veggies have softened, around 5-6 minutes.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the spinach and cook for another 4-5 minutes, or just until the spinach wilts.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately, topped with shredded Cheddar Jack cheese and some additional diced Poblano pepper, if desired. Enjoy!