Everyone is talking Keto… I admit I hadn’t really and truly looked at it in detail, until now. After doing some research, it turns out that it’s basically a low carb, high fat diet, which has been a thing forever (anyone remember Atkins diet or South Beach?), but now we’re calling it KETO. I understand the science behind it, and on the surface it seems simple, but carbs hide everywhere, so it does take some work, this site has a good explanation, and list of foods you can and can’t eat.
Years ago my husband and I both did South Beach and it worked, but it certainly takes time and planning, and eventually as we had more kids, we just stopped making it a priority. Recently my hubby decided he wanted to focus a little more on getting in shape, and because I’m the cook in the family, I’m trying really hard to be supportive by doing more lunch meal planning for him so he can stick to his plan rather than getting tempted to go out and grab a bite. That’s where this recipe comes in… welcome to our week 1 of KETO Lunch preps… wish me luck!
Generally we do tend to eat quite healthy at home because I love to cook with fresh produce and proteinsof all kinds, with seasoning and flavours from around the Globe, but I definitely find some of the KETO restrictions hard to get around.
This recipe for Egg Roll in a bowl is a perfect example of a meal that ticks all the right boxes. Most Importantly is the fact that it’s just straight up good so it doesn’t feel like diet food. It is super flavourful and satisfying while sticking to the KETO restrictions and I can cook some rice and spring rolls for my growing boys and everyone is happy and healthy.
I’ll be exploring more Keto, family friendly recipes, you don’t want to miss them! Join my Facebook Group; Love on a Plate where all new recipes are shared, we trade family favourites, ask questions, learn new techniques, and watch LIVE video’s of meal preps and more. It’s lots of fun and we’d love to see you there. Don’t forget to PIN this recipe so you can try it later!
Keto Egg Roll in a bowl; satisfy your cravings!Print Pin Rate
- 1¼ lb. spicy bulk pork sausage
- ¼ c. water
- 3 c. green cabbage shredded
- 1 medium carrot shredded
- ½ t. garlic powder
- 2 T. toasted sesame oil
- ½ T. fresh ginger finely minced
- 2 T. green onions chopped
- 1 T. rice vinegar
- 2 T. coconut aminos or tamari
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 T. toasted sesame seeds
- Heat a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Add sausage and cook, breaking the meat into small pieces as it cooks, for approximately 5-6 minutes. Once sausage is no longer pink, remove from heat and carefully drain excess grease from pan.
- Return skillet to heat. Add water and scrape up brown bits from the bottom of the pan with a spatula. Reduce heat to medium and add shredded cabbage, carrots, garlic powder, sesame oil, ginger, and green onions. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring frequently, until the cabbage wilts and the carrot softens, approximately 4-5 minutes.
- Add rice vinegar and coconut aminos and stir to combine. Cook another 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Remove from heat and transfer to a serving platter or bowl. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds, if using, and serve immediately.