Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup
Whether you are new to cooking in your Instant Pot or just looking for a new delicious soup recipe, you’re going to want to make this Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup! Seriously, I always have all these ingredients on hand in my pantry, and freezer, and we make this soup often. It’s quick to cook, tastes great, keeps well to use for lunches and freezes well. What else could you ask for? Oh, delicious, low fat, low carb? Yup, we’ve got that covered. It’s not Keto as it has beans and corn, but honestly, you could leave out both or either and reduce the carbs even further if you wanted.
So how do I make Instant Pot Chicken Fajita Soup?
- Gather your ingredients
- Set the Instant Pot to Saute
- Dump all ingredients into the pot
- Seal and set to 15 minutes
That’s it, that’s all. Dinner is cooking in less than 20 minutes. You have time to set the table, make a salad, or prep some Quesadilla’s, you decide. There’s also the serve with Tortilla Chips and relax while it cooks option!
Instant Pot® Chicken Fajita Soup
- Instant Pot
- 2 extra virgin olive oil
- ½ medium onion sliced
- 1½ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium red bell pepper sliced
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper sliced
- 1 medium Poblano pepper seeded and chopped
- Sea salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 14 oz. fire-roasted tomatoes with liquid
- 1 cup salsa mild, medium or hot
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 15 oz. canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
Garnishes: Sliced Avocado, Shredded Cheese, Sliced red onion, crispy tortilla strips
- Add olive oil to Instant Pot® and select the Sauté function. Set to high and once the display reads “hot,” add red onion, bell peppers, and Poblano pepper. Season with salt and black pepper, to taste, and cook, stirring continually, until the onion and peppers are crisp-tender and develop a bit of color, approximately 4-5 minutes. Switch unit to “off” and transfer veggies to a bowl. Set aside.
- Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and black pepper, to taste. Place chicken in Instant Pot®, along with tomatoes, chicken broth, cumin, chili powder, Mexican oregano, and garlic powder. Stir to combine.
- Add the lid and set the pressure valve to “sealing.” Select the “Manual” cooking option on the high setting and set cook time to 10 minutes. When done cooking, allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes, and then do a quick release for any remaining pressure.
- Remove lid and shred chicken breasts with two forks. Add sautéed veggies, black beans and lime juice. Stir to combine and taste. Adjust seasonings as desired.
- Allow soup to sit on “Warm” setting for several minutes until the veggies and beans are heated through. Serve immediately topped with sliced avocados, red onion, Mexican cheese, and fresh cilantro, if desired. Enjoy!
Active cook time: 15 minutes (+ time to come to pressure and 10 min. natural release)