This quick, flavourful and versatile Instant Pot Mexican Chicken recipe will quickly become a staple in your house. The original recipe calls for a Chipotle flavoured salsa, which adds a nice smoke and a little kick of heat to the dish, but you can change this up to any Salsa that your family enjoys…. I love how flexible this is.
Since I like to Meal Prep, and often use shredded chicken, this Instant Pot recipe is a great choice to double up on. Make one big batch, and freeze the extra chicken, or use it to make other meals for the rest of the week. Cooking once and eating twice (or three times) in only one pot and in under 20 minutes is a huge time saver, is cheaper than using purchased Rotisserie Chickens which you still have to shred and it tastes so much better!
Not sure how to use your extra shredded chicken? Think Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Taquito’s, as a topping for Nacho’s or a Tex-Mex flavoured Pizza. It’s also excellent if you like to take leftovers for lunches, you can easily make Tex Mex Chicken Bowls using rice or quinoa as a base, or keep it even lighter and make a veggie filled salad and top with the chicken and my super simple Salsa Ranch Salad dressing. Oh my, it’s so good and so easy and best of all you probably already have these ingredients in your pantry… what are you waiting for, let’s get dinner cooking!!
Once you’ve shopped your freezer and pantry, 5 minutes of prep time and 13 minutes of cook time is all you need… Amazing right! Just toss it all in the Instant Pot and let it work its magic.
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 16 oz jar of Chipotle salsa any type
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 8 oz canned tomato sauce garlic works well
- Add olive oil to the bottom of the instant pot.
- Put chicken breasts in the instant pot.
- Add the tomatoes, onions, garlic and tomato sauce.
- Pour the salsa on top of the chicken.
- Place the lid on, and lock it into place.
- Place the vent on seal.
- Use the manual setting, and set it to 13 minutes.
- Release pressure by doing a quick release.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken right in the pot.