Chipotle Mexican Shredded Chicken
This quick, flavourful and versatile Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken recipe is going to quickly become a staple in your meal planning. The original recipe calls for a Chipotle flavoured salsa, which adds a nice smoke and a little kick of heat to the moist shredded chicken. Not a fan of Chipotle? No problem, you can change this up to any Salsa that your family enjoys.
This Mexican shredded chicken is what I call a workhorse recipe and if you have this frozen in your freezer you will never be stuck for dinner again. It defrosts super quickly and can be used in just about any Mexican Taco, enchilada, burrito, taco salad, nacho recipe kind of recipe. Mexican Shredded chicken is also fabulous cold, and the used for chicken salad. Such good flavour here.
Since I like recipes that are prepaheadable, and often use shredded chicken, this Instant Pot recipe is a great choice to double up on. Make one big batch, and freeze the extra chicken, then use it to make other meals for the rest of the week. Cooking once and eating twice (or three times) in only one pot and in under 20 minutes is a huge time saver. Also, it is cheaper than using purchased Rotisserie Chickens which you still have to shred, and it tastes so much better!
Recipes that use Shredded Chicken?
Think Chicken Enchiladas, Chicken Taquito’s, as a topping for Nacho’s or a Tex-Mex flavoured Pizza. Let’s not forget it’s also excellent if you like to take leftovers for lunches. Easily make Tex Mex Chicken Bowls using rice, quinoa, or salad. Top with the chicken and my super simple Salsa Ranch Salad dressing.
How to cook Mexican shredded chicken
Oh my, it’s so so easy and best of all you probably already have these ingredients in your pantry. What are you waiting for, let’s get dinner cooking!!
Five minutes of prep time and 13 minutes of cook time is all you need… Amazing right! Just toss it all in the Instant Pot and let it work its magic.
Instant Pot Mexican Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 16 oz jar of Chipotle salsa any type
- 1 cup Roma tomatoes diced
- 1/2 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 tbsp. minced garlic
- 1 8 oz canned tomato sauce garlic works well
- Add olive oil to the bottom of the instant pot.
- Put chicken breasts in the instant pot.
- Add the tomatoes, onions, garlic and tomato sauce.
- Pour the salsa on top of the chicken.
- Place the lid on, and lock it into place.
- Place the vent on seal.
- Use the manual setting, and set it to 13 minutes.
- Release pressure by doing a quick release.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken right in the pot.
If you enjoy this recipe, I highly recommend trying some of these other great Mexican recipes.