Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup
This simple to make Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup tastes like you simmered it all day. It actually only takes 30 minutes start to finish, and that includes mostly cooking time in the Instant Pot. You’re going to want to PIN this recipe!
Everyone who tries this recipe is always impressed. As with many of my family recipes, I’ve added a few unique twists. Keep reading to find out my two secret ingredients.
How to get good flavor in Chicken Noodle Soup?
Honestly? You need a whole chicken. It makes a big difference. Often recipes call for using chicken bones, but using the entire chicken adds much more flavour, and better colour. Chicken broth or soup made with leftover chicken bones, or just backs often has a slightly grey tinge to it, that I don’t find appealing. With this recipe you get that beautiful yellow color, with no artificial ingredients.
Aromatics: You need onions, celery and carrots. They add more flavor and the carrots help with the color of the broth too.
Then, there are my secret ingredients: Bay Leaves and Celery Salt. You don’t use a lot of either, but they add depth to the broth, and a savoury richness that is sometimes missing in Classic Chicken Soup.
My grandmother also sometimes added dried dill, just a little. It’s quite traditional in what many refer to as Jewish Penicillin. Tell a Jewish Grandmother that you’re under the weather, and she’s going to make you a big batch of this. If you’re really lucky, she’ll add Matzo Balls. Oh, heaven! I digress, let’s get back to my Classic Chicken Noodle Soup, that is now my Instant Pot Chicken Noodle Soup. To be honest, I can’t think of a reason why I would go back to the stove top method. It’s just that good. And it’s just that easy.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 whole bay leaves
- 2 Tbsp salt
- 2 tsp celery salt
- 1 Tbsp ground pepper
- 4 lb whole chicken, (giblets and neck removed)
- 12 cups water, divided
- 8 oz egg noodles
- pepper to taste
- Set Instant Pot to "Saute" function and add olive oil.
- Add carrots, celery , and onion and saute until soft and fragrant.
- Add the chicken, bay leaves, celery salt, salt and pepper.
- Add 4 cups water and seal and lock the lid.
- Switch Instant Pot to "Pressure Cook" on high for 15 minutes.
- Once finished cooking, manual release steam and unlock the lid.
- Carefully remove the chicken and shred and get all the meat off the bones.
Return the shredded chicken to pot and then add 8 cups of water.
- Season with more salt and pepper to taste
- Switch Instant Pot back to "Saute" mode and add egg noodles.
Let simmer for a few minutes until noodles are cooked.