Quick Bread; warm from the oven with melted butter, yes please!
Yup, fresh delicious cheesy Easy quick bread makes an amazing addition to the dinner table, and fabulous sandwiches. The best part? No yeast, no proofing, and no hard to find ingredients. Easy Quick Bread uses pantry staples you likely have on hand right now.
Oh, did I mention, it’s really really good? As is characteristic of most quick breads, the crumb is denser than yeast risen bread. It’s kind of like cornbread and sandwich bread had a baby, so keep that in mind. It’s rustic, and My favourite is when there are leftovers and I can lightly toast it, THEN slather on the butter. All those little crispy bits from toasting are the best. You’ve got to try it.
How do I make quick bread?
- Assemble the dry ingredients
- Whisk together the wet ingredients
- Quickly stir the wet ingredients into the dry until just combined.
- Bake in a loaf pan until golden brown
- Let cool, slice and serve. with BUTTER!
What to use if you don’t have buttermilk?
Don’t have Buttermilk? No problem! While you can’t use just regular milk, you still have options. The buttermilk acts as a leavening agent in the absence of yeast. That something needs to be acidic. You can make your own buttermilk using lemon or vinegar, or substitute plain yogurt which has active bacteria which activates the leavening agents.
Quick Cheese Garlic Bread
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 Tbsp dried garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine melted
- 2 large eggs
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl combine flour, cheese, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, parsley, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- In a separate bowl beat together eggs, melted butter and buttermilk until well combined.
- Pour the egg and milk mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients. Mix with a spoon until just combined.
- Add to flour mixture and mix with a spoon just enough to wet all the ingredients.
- Prepare a 9×5 loaf pan by spraying the bottom (not the sides) with cooking spray. Leaving the sides not sprayed helps the bread to rise up the pan and will result in a lighter loaf.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, remove from oven and let sit until cooled.