Coney Island Chili Cheese Dogs
When summer hits, it’s time for fun family friendly foods that don’t take too long to Meal Prep or cook. This recipe for Coney Island Chili Cheese Dogs is prepped ahead and stored in a baking dish ready for a quick and easy dinner that everyone will enjoy.
Coney Island Chili is tangy and just a little sweet. It has no beans, and is thinner than a normal chili. It’s the perfect compliment to cut through the richness of the hot dog and all that cheese!
- Start with making the Coney Island Chili Sauce. I use my Instant Pot, but you could easily do this on the stove top as well.
- While the Coney Island Chili Sauce is cooking, prepare the hotdogs
- Open up the hot dog buns, place in a baking dish and place some cheese in each bun.
- Place a hot dog in each bun and top with more cheese
- When the Coney Island Chili is ready, spoon some sauce over top of each hot dog. Don’t worry if it’s a bit messy! That’s half the fun.
- Cover with foil and store in the refrigerator for up to 4 days
- On cooking day, place covered in the oven and bake for about 20 minutes until cheese is melted and hot dogs are heated through.
- Remove from the oven, top with diced onions and a squeeze of yellow mustard.
Another really nice thing about this recipe is that it is easily doubled and freezes very well. As we head into the long lazy days of summer, make a double or triple batch, and have some on hand in the freezer. Easy to defrost and assemble at the last minute, this is a great option when you need dinner at the last minute!
Coney Island Chili Cheese Dogs
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 whole onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 16 oz can tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons steak seasoning
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 Tbsp sugar
- HOT DOGS & TOPPINGS:
- 12 hot dogs
- 12 hot dog buns
- 1 onion diced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 slices American cheese cut in half
- yellow mustard
- Set the Instant Pot to saute on medium, wait until it says hot.
- To the instant pot add the onion, ground beef, garlic, chili powder, cumin, steak seasoning worcestershire sauce and sugar. Stir together, breaking up the meat, and cook until the onions are softened about 2 minutes. Stir in water, tomato sauce, and tomato paste. Stir well. It will be much thinner than traditional chili.
- Place lid on the instant pot, set valve to seal. Cancel the saute and set to pressure cook on high for 8 minutes. Once time is up, do a quick release, remove lid and stir. Cancel pressure cook, and set to saute. Let simmer over medium for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- While the Coney Sauce cooks, cook the hot dogs over a grill or on a grill pan. Place some shredded cheese inside each hotdog bun. Place cooked hot dog on top of cheese. Add more cheese to the top of the hot dog if desired.
- Spoon over Coney Island Chili, sprinkle with diced onion, and yellow mustard to taste.
- To make this as part of your weekly meal prep, spray two 9X13 baking dishes with cooking spray. Split open the hot dog buns, and place in the baking dishes in a single layer. Place some shredded cheese on the bottom of each bun. Top with a hot dog, and some remaining cheese.
- Spoon Coney Island Chili over each hot dog while in the casserole. Cover with foil and store up to 4 days. On cooking day bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and serve with diced onions and mustard over top.