Bacon Cheeseburger Sloppy joes; you’re going to love these!
Two kid friendly favourites Cheeseburgers and Sloppy Joes come together in this meal prep friendly Bacon Cheeseburger Sloppy Joe recipe. I’ve got to say, this is pretty genius! I haven’t met anyone yet who doesn’t like these, and the teens in my house devour them.
Ground beef, flavoured with bacon, sauteed onions, and all the usual burger fixin’s like ketchup and mustard come together in one skillet, in under 20 minutes. Tastes like a cheeseburger, but faster, and juicier, (and sloppier), with easier clean up as all the toppings are in the gravy. I’m telling you, you want to add Bacon Cheeseburger Sloppy Joes to your MUST TRY LIST!
Reasons why I love Cheeseburger Sloppy Joes:
- Easy – yes
- Budget friendly – yes
- Picky eater approved – yes
- Freezable – yes
- TASTY ? – YES
So, even though this is a totally simple meal to put together on a busy weeknight, I always like to have some meals stashed away in the freezer. As much as I meal prep and plan, there are still nights when, well, LIFE gets in the way of getting dinner on the table, and freezer meals keep me on track.
Just a few simple steps to make Cheeseburger Sloppy Joes
Start by pan frying the bacon pieces in a skillet until crisp
Saute diced onions in the bacon fat until just tender
Add ground beef to the onions and the bacon grease. Do not drain. This adds flavour to the gravy we will make.
Add flour to the cooked ground beef. This will make for a nice thick gravy.
Add ketchup, mustard, steak sauce, burger seasoning and beef broth. Stir until thickened
Add half of the crispy cooked bacon and the shredded cheese. Stir to combine
Heap a generous amount of the filling onto a warmed bun, sprinkle with more crispy bacon and cheese (not shown)
Make it a meal
To make this a complete meal, I like to serve good old oven baked fries, or sweet potato fries, and Sweet & Spicy Coleslaw. If it’s summer, corn on the cob, and sliced veggies with dip, are popular too. Whatever your family likes with burgers will work.
I tend NOT to lay out all the fixin’s to top this with as i enjoy the simplicity of the Sloppy Joe as is, but if I’m feeding a crowd, I sometimes go BIG and make a platter of burger toppings. When I do, this is what I put out.
Cheeseburger Sloppy Joe Toppings:
- Red Onion, thinkly sliced
- Tomato slices
- Dill pickle slices
- Cheese slices, assorted
- Shredded lettuce
Even More Sloppy Joes:
Sloppy Joes are pretty popular at our house and I’ve built up quite the collection to keep things interesting. I’ve got 10 more Must try Sloppy Joe recipes that I’m sure you are going to love gathered all in one place. We’ve got Pizza Sloppy Joes, Korean, Thai, Hawaiian, Mississippi Melts, and more… there is something for everyone!
Bacon Cheeseburger Sloppy Joes
- 1 pound bacon sliced
- 1 large onion diced
- 2 pounds extra lean ground beef
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 2 Tbsp burger seasoning
- 1 Tbsp steak sauce
- 1 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 2 Tbsp ketchup
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8 small hamburger buns
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, cook diced bacon until crispy about 4-6 minutes. Remove from frying pan and drain on paper towel. Set aside
- Add diced onion to the bacon fat still in the frying pan and saute until just beginning to soften.
- Add ground beef to sauteed onion, breaking up with a wooden spoon. Cook 4-5 minutes over medium heat until meat is crumbly and no longer pink. Add burger seasoning
- Sprinkle flour over top of cooked ground beef, stir well and let cook for 1-2 minutes
- Add beef broth to the cooked ground beef, stirring to make a nice thick gravy. Add ketchup, mustard and steak sauce. Stir well.
- Add half the bacon crumbles and the shredded cheese. Mix until cheese melts
- Heat hamburger buns in the oven, spoon desired amount of ground beef mixture onto each bun, top with a sprinkle of the remaining cooked bacon and additional cheese if you wish.