Shrimp Kung Pao; skip the take out
Chinese take out is one of our favourites when we are treating ourselves, or haven’t prepped. The whole family loves Asian flavours, especially with a hint of spice. Kung Pao Chicken is more traditional, however Kung Pao Shrimp is an amazing twist, and it cooks even faster than chicken. Perfect for a delicious weeknight dinner, that not only will taste better than take out, it’s faster and cheaper.
Using traditional Asian seasoning you will most likely have on hand, this dish is sure to become a regular on your menu. I highly recommend Pinning it NOW!
Is it really spicy?
It is a little spicy. Kung Pao is slightly sweet, slightly spicy and can easily be adjusted to your families preference. Increase or decrease the amount of Sriracha or dried chilies in the sauce but don’t leave out the Sriracha entirely. The complex flavours in the Sriracha really add a depth of flavour in a dish that cooks so quickly.
Can I make this ahead?
Yes and No. Shrimp cook quickly, so I don’t recommend cooking it ahead of time, however you can Meal Prep all the components easily enough. Make ahead meal prep directions are included in the recipe notes, and in fact, I like having the ginger and garlic marinate with the Shrimp overnight.
For fish and seafood dishes I recommend that they be cooked and eaten within 48 hours of prepping for maximum freshness and flavour.
You can also make the Kung Pao sauce in a big batch, and keep it stored in the fridge to add to a last minute stir fry. I consider this sauce a Meal Prep Staple just like my Peanut Sauce. Having a stocked fridge really helps on those nights when you just haven’t had time to prep or plan.
Let’s make this delicious Kung Pao Shrimp!
Shrimp Kung Pao
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1/2 green bell pepper diced
- ¼ cup red bell pepper diced
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 1 whole zucchini cut into thin half moons
- 1/4 cup water chestnuts drained
- 1 pound large raw shrimp peeled with the tails off
- 2 cloved fresh garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ginger minced
- ⅛ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 Tbsp Sweet Chili sauce
- ½ teaspoon Sriracha
- 1 teaspoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp dried chili flakes
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 whole dried chilies
- 1/2 cup roasted peanuts
- 2 whole green onions chopped
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onion, garlic, bell peppers, celery, water chestnuts, zucchini and saute 2-3 minutes until just tender crisp.
- Add in shrimp and sauté until cooked through, 3-4 minutes.
- Pour the sauce over the shrimp and vegetable mixture. Reduce heat and simmer until sauce is thickened and coats the shrimp & vegetable. .
- Remove to a serving dish and top sprinkled with peanuts and chopped green onions.
- Kung Pao Sauce: Whisk all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place cleaned raw shrimp into a Ziplock bag
- Add ginger
Want more great recipes?
For more great recipes, meal plans, LIVE streamed Quick Cook and Meal Prep Video’s plus so much more, join the Love on a Plate community now. We also have a YouTube channel, that’s new but growing, I’d love it if you would subscribe!
We’d love to know what you think of these recipes if you try them! Share a picture on IG using #loveonaplate, Post your picture on the Love on A Plate group, leave a Comment or Rating below. I think you get the picture! We want to hear from you. @loveonaplate.ca