Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole
Feed a Crowd!
Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole is the perfect dish when you need some good down home comfort food to feed a crowd. It’s rich and creamy and makes a lot! This casserole will easily feed 6, with leftovers for lunches. Have a smaller family? Cut the recipe in half or freeze the extra. If you have picky eaters this is easily adjusted to accommodate what they like. I’s totally flexible and one of the reasons I like it so much. Leave out the onion, or peppers, choose a different cream of soup flavour, or add a bread crumb topping are just a few changes you can easily make.
I don’t often cook with canned soups or overly processed foods, but sometimes, when the comfort food craving hits, I go for it. If that’s not something you’re okay with…. this probably isn’t the recipe for you. However, if you want a delicious and comforting, budget friendly and a meal that your family is guaranteed to love? You’re in the right place.
There is something about Velveeta that makes for the cheesiest, creamiest sauces, and in this recipe it’s perfect!
How do you make Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole?
- 2 pounds diced cooked chicken breast
- 2 pounds Velveeta cheese, cubed
- 1 each red, green, and orange bell pepper, diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 cans Cream of Mushroom soup
- 2 cans Cream of Celery soup
- 1 pound egg noodles
- 1 pound Penne
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons coarsely ground black pepper
- Bring water to boil then add noodles. Cook till noodles begin to soften but are still firm. Remember that noodles will continue to cook once they're mixed with other ingredients in the oven. If you are using a combination of egg noodles and penne, add the egg noodles after the penne has been cooking for about 4 minutes. Egg noodles cook much faster and you don't want them overcooked and mushy.
- While the pasta cooks, saute the onions and peppers. In a medium saucepan add 1 Tbsp butter and heat until melted. Add onions and peppers. Cook 3-4 minutes just until the begin to soften. Set aside.
- When pasta is cooked, drain most of the water from the noodles. Reserve about 1 cup of pasta water and add cubed Velveeta to noodles. Stir to begin mixing and melting.
- Add soup to pasta and cheese mix and stir together until well combined.
- Add chicken, onion, peppers, and seasonings. Mix well.
- Add casserole mixture to a large baking dish sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake covered in 350 degree preheated oven for 30-45 minutes until casserole is heated all the way through.
Tip: To check that the casserole is hot in the center, insert a metal skewer into the middle of the baked casserole. Remove and touch the skewer to see if it's warm.
You can use any type of pasta that you like. I like the combination of Egg Noodles and Penne which creates a nice texture. You can absolutely use only penne, ziti, rigatoni, or egg noodles.
Amount Per Serving Calories 430Total Fat 20gSaturated Fat 10gTrans Fat 0gUnsaturated Fat 5gCholesterol 105mgSodium 1567mgCarbohydrates 29gFiber 2gSugar 7gProtein 32g