Homemade Air Fryer Egg Rolls, Crispy wonton wrappers, delicious homemade chicken and veggie filling all cooked up from scratch in under 30 minutes. The Air Fryer is a GAME changer for these egg rolls.
I highly recommend making a double batch of these and freezing some to have on hand for later. You can double the filling ingredients and cook it in the same amount of time it takes to make a single batch. Once the filling is cooked you have two options, of you’re in a hurry, freeze the filling for later and make the egg rolls as needed.
What dipping sauces are good with chicken egg rolls?
I’m a dipper, actually if I’m being honest, I’m a double dipper! (only in my own bowl of course). While the ground chicken filling is good as is, having your dipping sauce of choice takes them to the next level.
- Sweet & Sour Sauce
- Plum Sauce
- Honey Garlic Sauce
- Homemade Hoisin Dipping Sauce; soy sauce, hoisin, mirin all to taste
- Sriacha or Sambal Olek if you like a little spice
Why you’re going to love this Air Fryer egg roll recipe!
- Air frying means less mess, and calories.
- Ground chicken filling is lower in calories than traditional pork, but with all the flavour
- Freezer friendly, these are perfect to have on hand for snacks, last minute guests or to serve with any Chinese meal
I also like to use this filling on top of rice as a Ground Chicken Bowl for a super quick and easy dinner any night of the week.
Ingredients needed to make Air Fryer Egg Rolls
How to make homemade chicken egg rolls in the Air Fryer
How to fold Egg Rolls; step by step
How to make Air Fryer Egg Rolls from scratch
To be honest, once youmake egg rolls from scratch and see how easy it is, you’ll likely never go back to store bought. Not only is it easy, it’s a great way to use up leftover bits of meat and veggies that you might otherwise not know what to do with. I love experimenting with different fillings both sweet and savoury.
- Make the ground chicken filling in the Instant Pot and set aside to cool slightly
- Fill and roll the egg rolls
- Place in the Air Fryer, spray with oil and cook until golden
- Freeze cooked or uncooked egg rolls if you wish
Before starting, lightly dampen a tea towel and use to keep the egg roll wrappers covered so that they don’t dry out while assembling.
Frequently Asked Questions About Air Fryer Egg Rolls
Ground pork is the most common substitution for the ground chicken. You can also use lean ground beef, however it’s less traditional and will change the flavour profile.
Homemade egg rolls can definitely be frozen. I recommend laying the egg rolls on a parchment lined cookie sheet and freezing for at least 2 hours. Do not spray with any oil. Remove from the tray and place in an air tight freezer bag. This method stops them from sticking together and allows you to cook however many you need. This method is called IQF or individually quick frozen
For store bought frozen egg rolls, I recommend using half the time listed for oven cooking.
With these homemade egg rolls, which aren’t overly large, they cook up nicely in about 10 minutes. Cook on middle shelf for 5 minutes, then move to top shelf to finish cooking.
Basically, yes. They are both an egg dough, rolled very thin and cut into squares. Wonton wrappers are quite a bit smaller than Egg Roll Wrappers. Use the size best suited to your taste and recipe. Smaller wonton sized rolls will cook more quickly but take a bit longer to prepare.
More recipes you might nnjoy:
- Instant Pot Mongolian Beef
- Instant Pot Chicken Lo Mein
- Check out all my Air Fryer Recipes here
- More Delicious Asian recipes you’ll want to try
Air Fryer Chicken Egg Rolls
- Air Fryer
- Instant Pot
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 10 oz coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger grated
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin or white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 12 egg roll wrappers or wonton wrappers
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- Green onion for garnish
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the instant pot and set it to sauté on high.
- Once oil is hot, cook the ground chicken until browned. Use a wooden spoon or meat masher (my fave is from Pampered Chef) to break up the chicken into crumbles
- Once chicken is browned, add the garlic, ginger,pepper, sesame seeds, soy sauce and vinegar. Let cook for 1 min. Use a wooden spoon to scrape up and browned bits on the bottom of the instant pot.
- Add the coleslaw and place the lid on. Set to rressure cook on high for 0 minutes.
- When the Instant Pot beeps, turn the sealing valve to open and do a manually release.
- To assemble the egg rolls, place the wonton wrapper with one of the points towards you (in a diamond shape) on a flat surface. Place 2-3 tablespoons of filling in the center of the wrapper. Dip your finger or a pastry brush in water and wet all the edges of the wrapper. Next, fold over the right and left side of the wrapper over the filling. Fold the bottom corner (the one closest to you) over the filling and tightly roll it upward to form the egg roll. Press lightly to seal the end.
- Place egg rolls in the air fryer basket and spray with oil.
- Cook at 400 for 7 minutes, flip and spray with oil. Cook for 3 minutes.