Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini
Stop! Before you decide you don’t like this recipe because it’s Vegetarian or you hate Zucchini take a little read through! This Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini recipe may just be the one to convert you and your family! Trust me. It’s GOOD. Really GOOD!
These healthy stuffed zucchini boats are packed with cheese, onions, garlic, and mushrooms and are the perfect low carb dinner. Best of all? They are super quick to make so you can have dinner ready in no time.
My family are huge fan of lasagna. I mean, honestly who isn’t? it’s literally impossible to not be a fan of a cheesy, pasta filled dish that’s warm and comforting right? And while lasagna is a delicious, meal prep family friendly dish, I was wanting to create something that was lower carb, and just a little lighter.
So I decided to start a quest. A quest to find something as good as lasagna (or better!) but healthier and that my family would eat.
There were a couple of things that were non-negotiable on this new dish I wanted to create:
- It should be packed with cheese
- It should be delicious. Like mind-blowing good. The type of delicious that makes you drool just thinking about making it when you get home
- Bonus points if it was low carb
- And easy. Because on weeknights no one wants to slave in the kitchen for hours
And I’m happy to report that I found it! These Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini boats are all of the above and then some more.
They are so good you’ll want to add them to your meal rotation often. They are super versatile, so you can play with the fillings, and toppings, and mix-ins as much as you like to prevent Menu Planning boredom…. We all get that!
This is a meatless version perfect for vegetarians. It’s budget friendly and makes a great option for a Meatless Monday.
I have a friend who recently became vegetarian but her family isn’t. This recipe will be GREAT for her. She can make some Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini for herself and some with added meat for her family. Win Win. Delicious dinner that everyone can enjoy without preparing two different dishes. Flexitarian, I hadn’t heard of it before, but according to Wikipedia, it’s actually a REAL term.
However, if you want to add some meat you can! Add some shredded chicken – a great way to use the leftovers from the rotisserie chicken you get at the store! – or add some ground beef, or Italian sausage.
And feel free to play with the veggies too. While I love this option with mushrooms, and onions, and garlic, you can also add some roasted peppers, crushed tomatoes, cooked spinach or whatever you crave.
And they are quick. I mean, these stuffed zucchini boats are ready in around 30 minutes. Can we just agree that 30-minute meals are instantly better? Make a big batch and you’ll have enough leftovers to take for lunch the next day.
Vegetarian Stuffed Zucchini
- 2 Large zucchini flesh scooped out
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 Onion diced
- 2 Cups mushrooms coarsely chopped
- 1/4 Cup cream cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 Cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 Cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut the zucchinis in half and scoop some of the flesh out being careful to not make the shell too thin.
- Coarsely chop the mushrooms
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add garlic and onion and cook until translucent.
- Mix in mushrooms and the flesh of the zucchini and cook for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and incorporate cream cheese. Remove from the heat.
- Fill the zucchini boats with the mushroom stuffing. Cover with mozzarella cheese and top with Parmesan cheese.
- Place in an oven proof baking dish and bake uncovered for 25 minutes. The filling will be nice and hot, the zucchini boat will be tender and the cheese melted and delicious!
Other great vegetable dish options that I think you might enjoy: