Bacon Mac n Cheese
My kids were home unexpectedly for lunch today, and I wasn’t prepared. To make things worse, it’s Friday so I didn’t have a lot on hand to make a good sandwich and they don’t all like soup… a dilemma for a Mom who wants to make something homemade and comforting.
Now that the weather has turned, it’s cold and grey and windy, so we definitely needed a warm, rich and satisfying, but I only had about an hour before I had to be out the door for an appointment.. bigger dilemma.
Worry not, enter the Instant Pot, also fondly known as the Magical Instant Pot at our house, I knew I could convert my Crock Pot Mac N Cheese recipe into an Instant Pot recipe and get a delicious result in a matter of minutes. Luckily this recipe has very few ingredients, that I always have on hand, problem solved! No more #lunchtimeblues
I went to the fridge to gather my three kinds of cheeses, and ran into some already prepped and cooked bacon, BONUS, now we have Bacon Mac N Cheese, and if your family is like mine, anything with bacon is usually a winner! Make it even more kid friendly by serving this delicious Mac N Cheese in some super fun bowls…. these ones make me smile.
If you want more great recipes for your family and a super friendly group, join our Facebook Group; Love on a Plate where we share recipes, ask questions, learn new techniques, and watch LIVE video’s of meal preps & quick recipes. It’s lots of fun and we’d love to see you there. Don’t forget to PIN this recipe so you can try it later!
Instant Pot Magic; Bacon Mac n Cheese
- 1 lb dry small shell pasta
- 4 cups water
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 3 cups medium cheddar cheese shredded
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 4 oz cream cheese cubed
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4-6 slices bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 tsp parsley flakes optional but pretty
- Set instant pot to saute on HIGH to get it heating while you gather your ingredients. Once HOT, add pasta shells, pour in water and set to cook 5 minutes on HIGH pressure. Don't forget to set the steam valve to closed.
- While the pasta is cooking, grate your cheddar and mozzarella cheese.
- Once instant pot has completed it's cook time, do a QUICK RELEASE of the steam valve and open the pot. Carefully of the steam, this is hot! DO NOT drain the liquid.
- Return the Instant Pot to the SAUTE setting on medium, add milk, pepper, dry mustard, butter, parsley flakes and all the cheese. Stir well to combine. Add the crumbled bacon, stir. Let sit for about 5 minute to allow it to thicken.
- Spoon into a big bowl and enjoy!