No one will guess that this rich and flavourful Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup took only 30 minutes from start to finish. Tender beef and vegetables, enhanced by a full bodied, perfectly seasoned broth, tastes like it’s been simmering all day on the stove. I won’t tell if you don’t!
There are a couple things that I love about Instant Pot, beyond the fact that it cooks so quickly. The pressure cooking feature allows meat that normally takes hours to become tender in much less time and without the addition of too much liquid. Diced beef for example in this recipe is done in 30 minutes, and economical beef roasts that normally take all day will be cooked in under 2 hours with perfect results.
I also love that the flavours are so well developed in a short time and even the seasonings don’t get that washed out, faded flavour that often results from cooking in the Slow Cooker. Why is this? No additional water develops during the cooking process which allows the flavour to intensify, and if the broth, sauce, gravy, in any dish is too thin, you just switch it to saute mode, remove the lid and let it reduce a little. PERFECT!
Last but not least, you can cook meat, poultry, vegetables, well, anything really, from frozen. If you forget to take dinner out of the freezer, no worries, the IP will still cook it for you in time for dinner.
The dreaded burn warning!
One of the challenges that people who are new to the Instant Pot run into is the dreaded BURN warning. First, DO NOT PANIC! It’s not burnt yet, and yes it can be fixed. Second, I’ve found a quick and easy layering trick that works for me every time to avoid the BURN warning and yes, I’m going to share. Third, stay tuned for IP 101 series LIVE on the Love on a Plate Community coming in January 2019 and we may just have an e-book available too!!!
This 30 minute Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup is the perfect easy, flavourful, and healthy meal! Loaded with vegetables, in a rich tomato beef broth, it’s comfort food at it’s best. Great for dinner with warm loaf of bread and some roasted garlic butter, any leftovers will be excellent for lunch too. It reheats really well, though the leftovers don’t last long at my house.
Watch this Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup recipe being cooked LIVE on our Love on a Plate Community group.
Instant Pot Vegetable Beef Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 pounds stew beef cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons Italian Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 can tomato soup
- 1 cup french style green beans frozen or canned
- 3 cups carrots sliced (fresh or frozen)
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 potatoes peeled and cut into small dice
- 1 cup water
- 2 cups beef broth
- Select the Saute Button on the Instant Pot and set it to medium
- Add 2 tablespoons oil and saute onion 1 minute. Add in beef cubes, Italian seasoning, garlic and onion powder and saute 3-5 minutes until browned on all sides.
- Stir in tomato sauce, tomato soup, beef broth, and water.
- Stir in corn, potatoes, carrots and green beans. Stir well.
- Cancel the saute setting, and set to High Pressure for 13 minutes.
- Put the lid onto the Instant Pot, making sure the steam valve is closed
- When time is up, let natural release for 5 minutes, then open the steam valve to release the remaining pressure. (Careful it's hot).