The term Lazy Days of Summer sure doesn’t apply at our house! I actually think our schedules are even tougher as everyone is all over the place… Summer School, Camps, Vacations, Kids work schedules, and on and on and on…..
Somehow I always get excited at the end of the school year that I DON’T have to make any more lunches, and then a week into July, I’m totally back into Meal Prepping and Planning,
This Summer I’ve been stocking the fridge with an assortment of homemade sides instead of the standard tub o’ salad from the store! Now that being said, it seems that no one but Mom, can actually make small lunch sized containers of food to take on the run, so I’m just surrendering and going to make them into individual portions as I prepare them… *lol*
I like to have variety, and so does my family, so you’ll find flavours from around the Globe.. think Tex-Mex, Asian, Greek, Thai, Chinese, Mexican… you get the picture.
This Sweet and Spicy Slaw is delicious and very easy to make. I always enjoy the combination of Sweet and Heat, add to this a little tang from the vinegar, and citrus from the cilantro and for me, it’s the perfect slaw to serve with grilled pork, steak or chicken…
Give it a go, and let me know what you think by dropping me a comment below.
Summer Sides - Sweet & Spicy Coleslaw
- 4 cups coleslaw mix
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro coarsely chopped
- 1 cup carrots shredded or matchstick
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl whisk together all dressing ingredients until well combine. Add in coleslaw, cilantro, carrots and red onions. Toss well to coat and let sit at least 10 minutes before serving. Will last up to 3 days in the fridge.